Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Books, books and more books

There is no friend as loyal as a book.

Ask any book reader and they’ll agree to the quote…

My affair with books started when I was in primary school. We had shifted to our own house from rented one and there were not many residents in the building. Moreover I was bit of introvert and shy. Since my brother was also an avid reader and he had his huge collection of books, my parents advised me to start reading.

And true enough, I fell in love with it. Initially my friends were “Tinkle”, “Champak”, “Chandhamama” and “Amar Chitra Katha”. My hunger for books increased as I proceeded to secondary school. With books, my friend circle also grew, as we used to exchange our collections.

My brother was a huge fan of “Hardy Boys” and “Alfred Hitchcock”. Believe me, after reading couple of them I stopped reading comics and moved to detective and suspense.

Even now I have weakness for detective and suspense stories. Luckily my affair continued even after marriage, as my hubby dear had a huge collection of novels of Jeffery Archer and Sydney Sheldon.

Luckily I married a person who also loved reading and had a huge collection of novels.

On a dull day give me an suspense or detective novel, a cup of ginger tea and soft music playing through headphones, and I am lost in that novel world…

Though now-a-days I don’t find time to read, occasionally I do make a point to grab a novel and complete it.

Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.”

I am taking part in The Write Tribe Festival of Words 8th – 14th December 2013.




DMCA.com

13 comments:

  1. liked reading your thoughts...after reading a couple of posts today, i realise that the journey with books is quite similar with every book lover

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love thrillers and mysteries too. Sidney Sheldon, Jeff Archer, John Grisham are my favs. Lovely collection you have! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank u Shilpa... happy to know that there are many people who have same interests :)

      Delete
  3. I too love thrillers and suspense and cannot keep the book down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suspense and thrillers... I love them too... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Give me books any day. Love them. Great post

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love ur shelf and it's bliss to have a partner with whom u share the love for books. Powerful line: There is no friend as loyal as a book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. we share the same books since bachpan :)

    glad to find you on this journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank u Ruchira.... happy to know that we shared the same bachpan love ;)

      Delete
  8. Based on quite a few posts that I read today, it looks like a lot of us started off with Amar Chitra Katha, Chandamama and Champak, didn't we. Just goes on to show how those books influenced an entire generation of Indian readers....

    Lovely post...

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Thank you for reading my blog. Please let me know your feedback. If you are leaving a comment, I would appreciate if you could leave your blog link along with your comment so that i can visit your blog also...

Thank you once again for reading.