Monday, April 7, 2014

Fast food craze










Fast food
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Fast food is the term given to food that is prepared and served very quickly, first popularized in the 1950s in the United States. While any meal with low preparation time can be considered fast food, typically the term refers to food sold in a restaurant or store with preheated or precooked ingredients, and served to the customer in a packaged form for take-out/take-away.

In recent times fast food craze is fast catching up, not only with kids but for all age group.
Fast food need not be junk food like burgers, French fries or street food. But now-a-days with easily available read to cook packs, meals ready in 2 minutes etc are so easily available, I feel they too are fast catching up and should fall under the category of fast food.
With couples busy with their hectic life and work schedule, who has time to cook for themselves and their kids in nuclear family? These ready to cook packs, take away packs and free home delivery menus are easily available and after a long tiring day most of people prefer to just crash on couch and gorge on food – healthy or unhealthy who cares.



But what they don’t see is its long term damage to their health. Though these ready to cook packs say, they are made from natural ingredients and have no preservatives, are they really that healthy?
Well some will say who eats them daily, once in a while is ok na ???
Once I had gone to supermarket for grocery shopping, and I notice a young couple at billing counter in front of me. Their cart was half full with these ready-to-eat packs. They were telling each other, as this one is your favorite I picked up this variety and vice versa. I don’t blame them or the companies who make them… But inspite of our busy schedules can’t we find some time to cook a healthy and fulfilling meal for ourselves and our loved ones???
No wonder present generations only likes junk food. We are depriving our bodies’ natural food and making our selves weak. People are having grey hair as early as in their twenties, diabetes, blood pressure, cholesterol and obesity are at rise.
 Few instance which I saw/heard and would like to share with you all…

One girl who is a fussy eater and also refuses to drink water, her parents give her pineapple pastry to eat (daily) and packed lemon juice/water to drink instead of water, inspite of the fact that the child is a special needs child. When asked the mother (who is a housewife and has a fulltime maid at her disposal) why you give her outside juice which is full of preservatives instead of homemade ones, she replied, who has time to prepare and give.
Another incident, an only child in well to do family, who is pampered a lot, since she doesn’t like food, her mother grates chocolates over her every meal so that she eats. Result, she is an obese child and when doctor asked her to reduce her weight and stop her junk food, mother replied “we don’t give her any junk now, except 1 bar of chocolate, 1 pack of chips and 1 burger daily.”
This is not a work of fiction but real ones. I see those two kids daily.
I agree kids are fussy, even I was a fussy kid, my daughter too is a fussy eater, but being a mother can’t we try to break these habits and introduce healthy ones. I try to make healthy food at home. I try to turn this junk food into healthy ones for my daughter.
I feel that’s why now-a-days kids have low immune to diseases and they fall sick often.
Being a parent I think its upto us to teach our kids healthy food habits. And as kids learn from their parents, we should start eating healthy too.

DMCA.com Protection Status

28 comments:

  1. in a country like ours, which is plenty in food, we should not be falling prey to such addictions... Lets strive to keep FF away...

    ReplyDelete
  2. in a country like ours, which is plenty in food, we should not be falling prey to such addictions... Lets strive to keep FF away...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like fast food.. that's why i love to chase pigeons and squirrels. They are really fast you know. I once caught a crow but mommy held my head n said "droppit droppit droppit". So I droppitted it and walked away sulking. The crow then limped away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Crow, must b thanking its stars n your mom :)

      Delete
  4. Very rightly said...as a mother v try to serve hygeine food to kids but then sometime do let go due to time constraint ...let's not our health n kids suffer due to ff..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every mom goes thru this Krans... we should try our best :)

      Delete
  5. It is tough for me to manage my craving of fast food. So I give in and head to gym.. Your post gets me thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My oh my do I have stories for you!! I have operated a licensed home daycare and mealtime has Always been a subject I could rant about. Do you know how many children I have had that don't know what a 'real' piece of chicken looks like? I mean they've never seen bones in their chicken. This last week they'd never seen black beans. OMGoodness you have a hot topic in my book! Thanks for sharing. *Another a to z blogger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was supposed to be 'operated for 18 years' oops

      Delete
    2. I think in coming generation kids will forget what home cooked food means :(
      Thank u :)

      Delete
  7. yes true we are getting addict to this fast and unhealthy food we should try to stop ours kids who are getting more addicted to this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As mother we can try, rest up to them till they become parents ;)

      Delete
  8. Good and a valid post. Agree with all the points. It is not just fast food...but even eating out is not really healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true... outside food is some time not clean and hygienic plus adulterated :(
      but kids remain kids

      Delete


  9. That was very informative. You are right , if this fast food fad continues, it will have far-reaching and irreversible effects on everyone. Besides isnt it a joy to cook for ur child

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Mams, cooking for kids and loved ones is such a joy and satisfying :)

      Delete
  10. Your post is very timely.As parents we should try to wean away our kids from unhealthy fast food & take aways.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice post. N so true. If this wasnt true and so serious v all wouldn't have adviced pregnant ladies to eat healthy. So do they forget this later.. Not sure coz am yet to have a child :) Really a thought provoking blog though. Kudos Aparna!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good to know you are cautious with ur kids
    This scenario is prevalent everywhere . Good one

    ReplyDelete
  13. Only after I started cooking did I realise that food can be made tasty and healthy at the same time. I mean, my mother used to give me tasty and healthy food, but I prepare junk at home with healthy ingredients and my child (husband) doesn't even get to know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Found you via #AtoZChallenge....We eat healthy for the most part but sometimes we go junky/fast in our food choices. I make sure to keep fresh fruits & veggies for snacking and rarely have sweets as a treat though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good post! It's interesting how your post is bout fast food and mine about fad diets! Hope you're having fun with the A to Z challenge. #theawsomedish

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very True Aparna. Beautiful write. There is a play-home on the ground floor of my house and when I find time I go visit the kids for sometime. I was really shocked to see how the parents take care of their little angels. Kids are meant to be fussy but isn't it the parents responsibility to teach them and convince them. My cousins too does the same with their kids and whenever I speak to them about this they and their excuse.

    From A-Z Challenge : http://viewsofpreethib.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fast foods is a good option for takeaway food. I like them specially for traveling. One must take a balanced amount of fast food. http://freakinfood.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. thank you sis for your information

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Thank you for reading my blog. Please let me know your feedback. If you are leaving a comment, I would appreciate if you could leave your blog link along with your comment so that i can visit your blog also...

Thank you once again for reading.