Friday, April 15, 2022

M for Molly and Moana



This post is a little different than others as I am mentioning not one but two films that are my favorites. One is Molly (1999) and another is an animated film Moana (2016). Both belong to a different genre but have a lot to tell.

 


Molly is an autistic girl who has been living in an institution after her parent’s death. Since the institute is getting shut down she has to shift with her brother Buck, who is suddenly loaded with her responsibility and has no idea how to handle her. The film is about their journey together. The brother is suddenly burdened with his sister’s responsibility; he is frustrated and angry but at the same time loves his sister and is very protective of her and feels helpless as he can’t do anything about it. Another film named Benny and Joon (1993) which I have seen, had a similar theme.

 

Since it is the brother, everyone feels bad as he can’t have a life, as he has his sister’s responsibility. But when a mother is a caregiver, everyone puts her on a pedestal and says it’s her duty and her sacrifices are taken for granted. Why? Doesn’t she too have a life? Doesn’t she too feel helpless in her situation?

 



Moana, on the other hand, is about loving nature. Te Fiti’s heart is stolen by Maui and is lost in the ocean. Moana is handed over the responsibility of giving Te Fiti her heart back so that Te Ka’s curse is lifted. But when Moana goes to fight Te ka, she realizes Te Ka is Te Fiti, corrupted due to the loss of her heart. We have always taken Mother Nature for granted. Didn’t we see and learn a lesson during the lockdown in the past two years? 


 

Both, actually all three movies are my favorites and are worth watching for their respective reasons.

To check out other posts of A to Z challenge click on links below

A > B > C > D > E > F > G > H > I > J > K > L > M > N > O > P > Q > R > S > T U > V > W > X > Y > Z 

5 comments:

  1. I wrote about moana in my post. Watch it hundreds of times due to Zara. Molly is a new one to me. Will try. Mother or a brother I think whoever is a care giver my respect to them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Benny and Joon, it shows that people who see the world differently and have trouble coping with its demands can live good lives with people who care about them for support. My kids are too old to keep up with Disney so I have never seen Moana, it sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not seen either but have caught Moana in glimpses . Love the Disney movies

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moana is a beautiful movie. Molly - I have not watched, but thank you for the recommendation. And you're right, any care giver deserves respect and at least acknowledgment for their efforts. I get tired of the 'selflessness' being glorified in the name of sacrifice. I cannot imagine how tiring and exhausting it would be for the caregiver, and only they know what they're going through. It cannot be easy. I really wish and hope they can take better care of themselves too, because as they say 'You can't pour from an empty cup'

    FictionPies

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Thank you for reading my blog. Please let me know your feedback. If you are leaving a comment, I would appreciate if you could leave your blog link along with your comment so that i can visit your blog also...

Thank you once again for reading.