Tuesday, April 5, 2022

D for Dil Dhadakne Do






Dil Dhadakne Do (2015) is a story of a typical, dysfunctional high-class family and their friends residing in Delhi. The Mehra’s are more concerned about their image in society rather than the emotions and suffering of their offspring.



 

The Mehra’s are a typical Indian family wherein the patriarch is prominent and dominant. The parents, played by Anil Kapoor and Shefali Shah want their son Kabir to take over AyKa and not the daughter Ayesha, who is interested in business and has a business mind and capability. They want the son Kabir to take over their business as he is 'the son' and the male heir to their family. Even though Ayesha has a business streak in her, she is neither supported by her parents nor by her husband Manav, who thinks that he has done a great favor to Ayesha by allowing her to step out of the house as no female member of his family has ever stepped out of the house for work. The mother advising her daughter to have a baby so that the relationship works is the common advice given by all Indian mothers to their daughters when they say the marriage is not working. For the sake of saving their business, they want to get Kabir engaged to Sood’s daughter, who is not interested in him but is interested in the son of the rival family.

 

What is relatable is the patriarchal approach, the partiality between the son and the daughter, the way Ayesha’s mother-in-law and husband treat her like they have invested time and money in her and portray her as an incapable and irresponsible daughter-in-law. The way Mehra’s takes on her insults as they are from the ‘girl’s side’, they don’t allow Kabir to voice his decisions and his stance towards his sister, and many more instances which one can see in most typical Indian families.

 

What I loved the most is the music by Shankar – Ehsaan – Loy, the locales, the characters, and their acting amongst many other plus points, makes this movie an entertaining and relatable movie.


Please do let me know if you have watched this movie and what's your take on this movie.

To check out other posts of A to Z challenge click on links below

A > B > C > D > E > F > G > H > I > J > K > L > M > N > O > P > Q > R > S > T U > V > W > X > Y > Z 

8 comments:

  1. I watched this movie multiple times

    An all time entertainer...with apt messages. I particularly like the scene where Farhan Akhtar points out Rahul Bose's mistake....love the music too. Feet tapping and happy music. Every one does their part well. I love Anil Kapoor too . He just fits the bill..Zoya Akhtar is one of my favs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorite films. The feminist in me fell in love with Farhan Akhtar when he talks about women getting permission. Thank you... movie ki yaad taaza ho gayi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not seen this film nor have I heard of it. I haven't watched too many films from India. The most recent that I watched last year was an older film Panther Panchali. Now I'm hoping they'll reshow the next two films of the series since I didn't know it was part of a trilogy and didn't record the other two films.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not seen or heard of this movie. My parents used to watch them all time. There are two that I wanted and liked. One is Sholay. I guess it's almost like a Indian western movie. And the other is Junglee. I will admit, I don't remember what Junglee was about. But I remember liking it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The music was really enjoyable! My favourite scene is the one where Farhan questions the obvious flaw in Rahul Bose's thinking. It's a all too often sad reality with a lot of families and I don't see it going away anytime soon unfortunately!

    Here's my post for D:
    D: Deception Point

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes , I did watch the movie , first day 3 rd show . I really enjoyed it . All the actors were simply remarkable in their shoes . I m a great fan of Shankar-Ehsan-Loy's music . Liked your review on it absolutely apt 👍 👍👍👍👌👌

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its a feel good movie...one you can simply watch again as it sort of takes you on a trip and cruise...forget about the rest :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just loved this movie and don't mind watching it again, it was so much fun and every actor in this movie was simply great...

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Thank you for reading my blog. Please let me know your feedback. If you are leaving a comment, I would appreciate if you could leave your blog link along with your comment so that i can visit your blog also...

Thank you once again for reading.