Monday, April 18, 2022

O for OMG: Oh My God!



         We Indians are highly superstitious and spiritual. We don’t believe in our deities, but we fear them. We follow innumerable rituals, prayers, fasts, and whatnot to appease our God and Goddess to make them happy and so that, we get our wishes. But who made those rules? Who told us that if we fast for 'n' number of days we will get a good husband? Who said if a wife fast for a whole day it will give long life to her husband? If all that was true how come many wives who had observed that fast became widowed at an early age? And why are all rules and fasts laid down only for women?

 

My parents always say if we want to discontinue any (monthly) fast which we have been doing for a long we have to go to some particular temple and do poojas and then we can discontinue. But my question is when we start to observe that fast do we take permission or do any pooja? Then why do we need to do pooja and take permission to discontinue? I am not an atheist but I don't believe in some of the rituals and rules laid down in name of God.

 


OMG: Oh My God! (2012) is a comedy-drama movie that questions such beliefs and is a perfect mirror to all our superstitions and blind belief. I loved this movie and would like to say hats off to the director, writer, and the whole team for making such a mind-blowing film. 

 

I have posted link to one of my favorite scenes below. 

 


To check out other posts of A to Z challenge click on links below

A > B > C > D > E > F > G > H > I > J > K > L > M > N > O > P > Q > R > S > T U > V > W > X > Y > Z 

5 comments:

  1. In the Christian faith many are guilty of the same thing. It's legalism and in adhering to rules we remove God and make it about ourselves which is really tragic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorite movies, more so because it talks about things many won't in public. It's sad that belief can take form of superstition and everything gets politicised.

    momandideas.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I havent seen this movie but we have such 'discussions' often!! Good reco. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankfully we dont practise any fasts in particular... But i believe it has a strong scientific backing for cleansing or detoxifying the body ... the other stories got added on with time i suppose

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and I are very similar in this aspect then. I am not an atheist either, but I don't believe in the rituals and traditions/customs being followed simply so "something so so can happen" or "something so and so should not happen". I don't believe in tying faith to consequences. Faith should be faith, just existing for itself. Not because it has to influence something. I prefer connecting to the supreme being through thoughts, actions, intentions and such. And plain silence. Nothing like it. Some of the temples like Birla Temple induce such spirituality, one can feel so much at peace sitting at there. At times I have enjoyed chants and consistent rhythms of bells too. But spirituality to me is extremely personal, individual and non-conforming to someone's ideas or rules.

    And yes, one of the best movies on those lines. Love it. Especially the part where they question - milk, oil etc, being poured in a land where people still go hungry.

    Did you read about the time I met Shashi Tharoor at Oxford Dictionary?

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Thank you for reading my blog. Please let me know your feedback. If you are leaving a comment, I would appreciate if you could leave your blog link along with your comment so that i can visit your blog also...

Thank you once again for reading.