Saturday, April 2, 2022

B for Badhaai Do

 


The movie Badhaai do was in news recently for many good reasons. It is one of the best movies I have seen about the LGBTQ+ family. The movie has portrayed not only the difficulties but also the pain and struggle of those people who are having a tough time coming out of the closet and having a respectable and respectful life in society. Not only is it a big struggle for them to be accepted in society but also mainly and firstly by their own family. 

 

 


        Firstly I would like to say both the protagonists, Rajkummar Rao and Bhumi Pednekar have played their characters with flair; be it some highly loaded, complex emotional scene or a light-hearted one. In one of the scenes where the male lead Rajkummar Rao says he was not able to achieve what he wanted to do in life because of family pressure, depicts the reality of Indian society holds true for the majority of people in India because in our country most people are living the dreams woven by their parents. Kids are usually not allowed to follow their passion or live their life. They have to do what their parents say what is expected from them by the family. A doctor’s son/daughter is expected to become a doctor and follow in his/ hers parent's footsteps. An engineer’s offspring is expected to be an engineer; a banker’s offspring is expected to be a banker. No one asks or wants to listen to their kids about what they want just because of family pressure. Most kids give up their dreams and passion and live miserable life just because they have to follow the social norms. 

  

Not only the struggle and the difficulties, but the pain faced by the LGBTQ+ family are so real and heart-touching. The scene where the male protagonist breaks down in front of his family and opens his heart is applaudable. Even today some people think being gay or lesbian is a disease that can be cured with medicine and therapy. The most unexpected scene which won my heart was the ending scene. I won't give away any spoilers but people who have watched the movie know what I'm talking about. It is the end scene that won the hearts of many people. So this movie is a must-watch and I will watch it again and again and again. 

 

         I want to say hats off to the director, the writer, and the actors as each character portrayed was relatable and if you look around you find them in your vicinity or in your family which made the movie even more entertaining and also relatable.


    If you have watched the movie do let me know your inputs along with feedback to my blog.


To check out other posts of A to Z challenge click on links below

A > B > C > D > E > F > G > H > I > J > K > L > M > N > O > P > Q > R > S > T U > V > W > X > Y > Z 

14 comments:

  1. I watched it recently. I would say it is a decent attempt of showing lavender marriages. They dealt with subject well. Last scene was quite impactful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written and definitely intriguing!

    I'll leave the link to my blog below
    https://www.damyantiwrites.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not seen this movie, but it sounds like a good watch, with a great subject matter. It must be very hard to be pushed into a career that is not your own choice and I can only imagine what it must be like to mix in LGBTQ+ issues to a family as well with all the prejudice that surrounds them. Sounds like it has an ending worth waiting for too.
    Best of luck with the AtoZ.
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings: YouTube - What They Don't Tell You (and free fiction)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The movie sounds interesting and good review.

    Leaving my link:
    http://namysaysso.com/blog/boketto-short-poetry-forms/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh the struggle is real. And I too loved the last scene. I wish and hope that people get to follow their dreams and live their life as they would like to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am yet to watch the movie but i love both of them as actors ... They are very talented...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not watched many Bollywood movies so I will be following your reviews for recommendations!

    I am reviewing documentary movies for Blogging A to Z. Here is my post for today: https://othemts.wordpress.com/2022/04/02/documentary-movie-review-a-band-called-death-2012-bloggingatozchallenge/

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice one Aparna. Looking forward to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I havent yet watched the movie but after reading your review I think I will do so over this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven watched the movie yet, maybe I will soon. But I do remember a similar movie that involved transgender relationships. I will not mention the name of the movie since I am not sure if you are gonna be covering that as well. I will keep following your blog, good luck with the rest of the challenge.

    Here's my post for B:
    B: Billion Dollar Loser

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have not seen the movie but sure understand the complexities of family and the frustrations with going a different path that LGBTQ family go through.
    Atoz

    ReplyDelete
  13. Am yet to watch this! Thanks for this lineup of movies - next time I will know to look for something!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Thank you for reading my blog. Please let me know your feedback. If you are leaving a comment, I would appreciate if you could leave your blog link along with your comment so that i can visit your blog also...

Thank you once again for reading.